History of Cider House at Buckland Abbey
Cider House was originally part of the Buckland Abbey Estate which was established in 1278 by the Cistercian Monks and dissolved by Henry VIII in 1539.
Next to the Abbey is the Great Barn; one of the largest medieval barns remaining in the country. It is 87 metres long by 10 metres wide and was used to store the produce of the Abbey's vast estates.
After dissolution, the abbey was rebuilt as a grand house by Sir Richard Grenville who intended it to be country estate for his son Roger. However, Roger died a few years later whilst commanding the Mary Rose. The Estate was subsequently bought by Sir Francis Drake in 1581. The house remained in the Drake family until 1946 when it was bought by a retired Naval Officer who then gave the Abbey and its grounds to the National Trust. The Officer retained ownership of the old cider barn and converted it into his private residence; Cider House.
Up until 2011, Cider House and gardens were tended for over 30 years by Michael and Sarah Stone. The gardens were open to the public for the latter 18 of those years through the National Gardens Scheme. The National Trust bought the Cider House in 2011 and so the Estate is back together again.
Cider House is now in the devoted care of Bertie and Bryony Hancock who have transformed the house into luxury bed and breakfast accommodation, with the added benefit of sitting at the heart of the 700 acre Buckland Abbey Estate and having its beautiful gardens now looked after by the National Trust team.